Our Creamy Tuscan Chicken Bowl is an exquisite restaurant quality meal made in under 30 minutes.
It is a great recipe for busy weeknights and tastes just like visiting your favorite Italian restaurant.
This yummy chicken dinner has the most divine parmesan cream sauce made with clean, organic ingredients and tender chicken on top of wild rice.
Also, this can easily be made with low carb alternatives like cauliflower rice or spaghetti squash!
This is one of our family's favorite creamy chicken recipes. With the right ingredients, the creamy Tuscan garlic chicken and rice bowl is an anti-inflammatory, minimally processed, yet incredibly delicious meal.
Even our picky toddlers come back for more! Another irresistible and toddler-approved Italian favorite is our One-Pot Lemon Ricotta Pasta. Give them both a try and let us know what you think!
Read on for some top-of-the-line tips to make your meal not only delicious but healthy too!
Before we start, gather your ingredients and set some healthy intentions for a high vibrational experience from start to finish- and beyond. Your intentions can be a specific statement or simple with a short word or phrase; like "health", "anti-inflammatory", "love", "connection", or "balance" etc.
My intention is for this meal to heal and nourish my body.
Every bite I take fuels me with love, strength, motivation, and connection.
My whole family grows stronger and healthier with each high-quality meal that we share.
I am grateful for good food and loving connections shared among family and friends.
I feel fantastic!
*Curate an intention that fits your meal, day, needs, and desires. Prayerfully and gratefully set and felt, it is so. Enjoy the process! Learn more about setting intentions here.
Now, grab your list for the grocery store. It's time to talk about these amazing ingredients!
Organic is best. Chicken thighs have a rich flavor that melds beautifully with the Tuscan Italian flavors
Organic Sundried Tomatoes
Julienne cut and packed in oil are best. Be sure to drain the oil. Hot tip: you can reserve the oil and use it in place of avocado oil for cooking the chicken, and onion and garlic later on
Always check ingredients in jarred or canned foods. Be sure it is simple and whole food ingredients and organic is best whenever possible!
Full fat and organic are best and minimally processed. This replaces heavy cream seamlessly. Hot tip: You can shake it up and use the whole can or just scoop out the top cream after putting the can in the fridge for an extra creamy sauce!
Fresh Organic Basil
We have found that lightly freeze-dried basil in the refrigerated produce section works well too!
Organic Baby Spinach
Avocado Oil or Ghee
Extra virgin olive oil can be used if the temperature is kept at or below medium)
Organic Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
Organic is best!
Cook chicken on stovetop. Set aside to cool and shred.
saute onions and garlic.
Stir in coconut milk, sun-dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, parmesan, Italian seasoning, and one cup of chicken broth and bring to a low boil, stirring periodically for 2-3 minutes.
Add chicken to sauce after shredded and periodically add in handfuls of spinach until it wilts nicely.
Pour over rice in a bowl and serve while hot!
Hint: Cook rice and chicken at the same time in separate pans to cut down on cooking time. Likely, they'll be ready around the same time!
Substitutions and Variations:
Boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs can be used interchangeably.
For a vegan alternative consider using tempeh in place of chicken and leaving the Parmesan out. The parmesan can be replaced with nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor.
If you cannot find sun-dried tomatoes, grape or cherry tomatoes make work as a replacement, although the flavor will change slightly.
For dairy free, simply omit Parmesan or replace it with nutritional yeast
For lower carb and grain-free, consider substituting wild rice for cauliflower rice or spaghetti squash!
Large pot (if cooking rice at the same time as the chicken! Otherwise, you can use the same pot one after the other)
Measuring cups and spoons
Chef's knife and cutting board
Refrigerate the leftover Tuscan chicken bowl in an airtight container. Store leftovers for 3-4 days.
May also be stored in a freezer-safe container for up to 6 months.
Hint: Rice and sauce can be mixed together or stored in separate containers
This creamy Tuscan chicken recipe pairs well with a garden side salad or another green veggie. It’s truly a complete meal, so it doesn’t even need a side!
Tuscan chicken pairs well with wild rice, cauliflower rice, asparagus, french green beans, or a side salad. Honestly, when packed with vegetables and in a rice bowl, it doesn't even need a side!
Tuscan chicken is made with tender chicken cutlets, chicken broth, artichoke hearts, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, parmesan cheese, and full-fat coconut milk for a rich creamy texture.
Healthy Tuscan Chicken Bowl with Creamy Parmesan Sauce
- Large pot (if cooking rice at the same time as the chicken! Otherwise, you can use the same pot one after the other)
- 2 lb organic Chicken thighs
- 7 oz Sun-dried tomatoes julienne cut drained
- 12 oz Artichoke hearts quartered
- 1 cup canned full fat Coconut milk organic and unsweetened
- 1 cup Basil fresh minced
- 5 oz fresh spinach more if desired
- 3 cups wild Rice
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning dried
- 1 teaspoon Avocado oil
- 2 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 small yellow Onion minced
- 6 cups broth
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Himalayan Salt and black pepper to taste
- Add ½ teaspoon avocado oil and chicken thighs to a large skillet on medium-high heat. Season with salt pepper and garlic powder. Cook approx 5 minutes on each side, until internal temperature reaches 165.
- Remove chicken from heat and let cool a moment on the cutting board before cutting into small pieces or shredding
- Add ½ teaspoon avocado oil to the skillet on medium heat. Add onions and garlic, and sauté until softened (approx 2min)
- Add coconut milk, sun-dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, parmesan, Italian seasoning, and one cup of chicken broth and bring to a low boil, stirring periodically for 2-3 minutes.
- Return cooked chicken to pan and simmer for 5-10min or until the creamy Tuscan sauce is slightly reduced and thickened while periodically scraping the bottom of the pan.
- Add handfuls of spinach while stirring as it wilts. Remove from heat once all spinach has been added to the sauce mixture and is wilted.
- Pour over rice in a bowl and serve while hot!
- Cook to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove